· Do not think dishonestly.
· The Way is in training.
· Become aquainted with every art.
· Know the Ways of all professions.
· Distinguish between gain and loss in worldly matters.
· Develop intuitive judgement and understanding for everything.
· Perceive those things which cannot be seen.
· Pay attention even to trifles.
· Do nothing which is of no use.
“If you do not look at things on a large scale it will be difficult for you to master strategy. If you learn and attain this strategy you will never lose even to twenty or thirty enemies. More than anything to start with you must set your heart on strategy and earnestly stick to the Way. You will come to be able to actually beat men in fights, and to be able to win with your eye. Also by training you will be able to freely control your own body, conquer men with your body, and with sufficient training you will be able to beat ten men with your spirit. When you have reached this point, will it not mean that you are invincible? “
From the Book of Five rings
by Miyamoto Musashi